Even if you’ve never purchased a Sara Lee product, you’re probably familiar with their long-running jingle, which makes the bold claim that “nobody doesn’t like” their line of frozen desserts and other tasty carbohydrates. But it looks like they may need to take people with peanut allergies off that list, following a recall of some Sara Lee pecan pie products that may contain “undeclared peanuts.”
Here’s what to know about the recall, including which pies are impacted and what to do if you find one in your freezer.
What is being recalled?
According to a Sara Lee company announcement subsequently posted on the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) website on May 12, 2021, specific lots of select Sara Lee, Chef Pierre, and Devonshire pecan pies produced between March 4 and April 1, 2021 are being recalled because they may have been contaminated with peanuts. So far, there have been no reports of illness caused by someone with a peanut allergy eating these pies, which were distributed nationwide, the FDA reports.
Here is a list of the Sara Lee products that are part of the recall:
- Sara Lee Individually Wrapped 4-ounce Pecan Pie slices, 24-count case SKU #5117 produced on March 5, 2021, marked with lot code #C050641C and carrying unit UPC 032100051118. Individual pie slices have a printed lot code on the top of the package.
- Sara Lee Individually Wrapped 4-ounce Pecan Pie slices, 48-count case SKU #7144 produced on March 4 and March 11, 2021, marked with lot codes #C050631C and #C050701C and carrying unit UPC 032100051118. Individual pie slices have a printed lot code on the top of the package.
- Chef Pierre 10” Pre-Baked Southern Pecan Pie 36-ounce, case SKU #9273 produced on March 4, 2021, marked with lot code #C040631C and carrying unit UPC 032100092739.
- Chef Pierre 10” Pre-Baked 10-Slice Pecan Pie 36-ounce, case SKU #9375 produced on April 1, 2021, marked with lot code #C050911C and carrying unit UPC 032100093750.
- Devonshire Bake Shop 10” Pre-Baked Southern Style Pecan Pie 36-ounce, case SKU #8994 produced on April 1, 2021, marked with lot code #C040911C and carrying unit UPC 758108399877.
What to do if you purchased one of the recalled products
Well, if you have a peanut allergy, steer clear of these pies, obviously. But the FDA recommends that anyone who thinks they’ve purchased any of the recalled products confirm the lot code with their purveyor of pecan pies, and if it turns out that you’re the owner of a potentially problematic pie containing peanuts, you’re entitled to a full refund.
Additionally, consumers with questions may contact the company via email at SaraLeeFrozenBakery@casupport.com or at 1-800-323-7117 between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. EST Monday through Friday.